Subscribe to Amazon Kindle

Sunday, September 19, 2010

We Need to Talk

Richard Nixon spoke of the “silent majority” in 1969 when he sought support for the Vietnam war. I’d like to address my silent majority: those that take the time to drop in to my weekly column for a look-see or listen. I’ve been writing for almost 21 months and have scant comments from which to glean favor or opposition.
The site has almost 14,000 hits. Granted, some may have dropped in by mistake. Even if we discount a random 10%, that still leaves a significant number with nothing to say. My objective is to create some ensuing conversation or debate over the merits of my musings. A comment to congratulate or castigate would be much appreciated. How else can I know if I’m on to something? Or, perhaps, maybe I’m bumping along on a dead-end road. Either way, I’d sure like some input.
In this Twitter / Facebook oriented world, I’m hard-pressed to explain the dearth of opinions on my opinions. A friend of mine is a loyal reader and even she opted to send me a personal note rather than a comment for all to see. It contained high praise (I’ll spare you), but even if it hadn’t, the posting may have generated other comments. So come on: do ya like it or do ya hate it? Get involved...tell a friend...tell me!
Another regular reader has weighed in on my new podcast format and thinks that I should become more passionate in my speaking. After all, she wrote, I allude to a rant with my “resounding hell no” on the column’s home page. Point taken, but allow me to offer another angle.
There are two ways to burn a log. (Yes, I know there are more than two ways to burn a log just as there are more than two ways to skin a cat. Gimme a break here, OK?) You can turn a blowtorch on it and it will, indeed, burn. Until you take the flame away, that is. There is no internal heat created to maintain the combustion. Or you can introduce a smaller flame to the core of the log and wait until it catches hold. Then, when you remove the flame, the heat remains and the log continues to burn.
A rant is much like that blowtorch I mentioned. It gets the listener all worked up and feverish. A day later, though, as the rant in question fades from the mind, the fever fades, too. We see that on many talk radio and cable television programs.  Over-the-top theatrics designed to create a visceral reaction in the hopes of forming ideas based on emotion rather than intellect.
I’d rather my opinions be akin to the small flame in the middle of the log (you’re the log in this analogy, you know). I assume that most in the audience still have an ember or two of indignation somewhere deep inside and I strive to stoke that ember by speaking in reasonably temperate tones. I hope that my points will strike some sort of chord that will continue to resonate over time. I’m less interested in whether you agree or disagree with my position. If my words create a desire to look at things in a different way I’m a happy guy. So while my inflection may not approach the levels of more well-known personalities, I’d like to think that my ideas will have a longer life span within your memory bank.
Well, I don’t know about you, but I sure feel better after our little talk. I know it was a one-way chat, but all the more reason to submit a comment. Both column and podcast offerings provide an avenue to respond and I’m more than happy to engage. So take a minute and let me know you’re out there. And as the Bartles and Jaymes pitchmen were know to say: thank you for your support.

1 comment:

crewskedgirl said...

Ok, I for one, take the time to "digest" your writings, then think, "oh, I want to make a comment or observation, but where is that other article I wanted to quote from?" By the time I either think to look for it, realize I recycled it, or formulate what I want to say, at least a week has gone by, and the comment seems, I don't know, "stale." And FINALLY I have a Google account, but some do not...
SO, will try to be more prompt! Regarding Quaran article, any comments on latest Resolution passed by TX Education Board on Christian/Islamic balance in Social Studies textbooks that TX doesn't even use?