Subscribe to Amazon Kindle

Sunday, December 26, 2010

To the Dogs

“To the Dogs” is a phrase usually reserved to describe a continually eroding situation. The economy is going to the dogs as is that abandoned building across the street. Today, however, I use the phrase as a salute to our canine companions.
Of all the domesticated critters, the dog occupies the highest rung on the ladder of loyalty. And for good reason. Beat a dog, make a dog sleep in the cold and wet, expect unreasonable behaviors: it matters not for the tail continues to wag in a never-ending display of unconditional love.
Dogs provide an opportunity for each of us to grow as humans if only we observe and adapt our ways to more closely mirror theirs. Take joy in a walk with a friend. Discover the pleasure of an afternoon nap. Live in the moment. Forget your ego. I’ll grant you that some of these are not possible in a hectic, 24/7 schedule. It’s just as good, perhaps, to keep the ideas in the back of our minds and take advantage of one when the opportunity arises.
Some are now thinking, “Yeah, well you haven’t had the experience that I’ve had with a dog.” Yes, many have been bitten (hopefully no more than once to at least prove the old adage). Think of other scenarios that have turned out badly. I’d say that many of them involve another person. Have you similarly shunned the human race? I doubt it, but cannot argue that some dogs pose a significant obstacle to the kind of relationship I describe. Not impossible, though.
You see, dogs are easier to rehabilitate. One need look no further than those associated with Michael Vick’s dog fighting operation. These were canines trained to kill another of their kind yet all 49 are now in foster homes with other dogs and, in some cases, children. Exceptional therapists? I’d be more inclined to point to an exceptional attitude and underlying desire to please within the patient.
No, dogs are there through thick and thin. Stop feeding them and they’ll sit at your door waiting for a scrap or a pat of some kind. Dogs will meet your gaze and return it with some sort of comprehension and the assurance that they will always remain true. Dogs will interrupt their nap to sit at your side. They revel in your happiness and sit quietly to comfort you in times of sadness.
I’ve had the pleasure of a dog’s company for over half of my life and am presently surrounded by three. Each has a different personality, but they all share the same devotion found lacking in our human world. No hidden agenda or secret goal. A simple, unadulterated admiration. If only we could attain such an altruistic height.
Dogs come in all shapes and sizes and each breed has unique traits. I’d say that is to provide a plethora of choices for would-be owners. Rescue operations even place dogs in a home on a trial basis to ensure a good fit. Not even allergies can eliminate a dog from your life as some breeds are hypoallergenic.
 I know, lifestyle and other such considerations are used to rationalize the absence of a canine from any household. There’s always a way. We can even skirt public laws by designating our dogs as “assistance” or “therapy” animals thus allowing access to otherwise off-limits venues. (I’m thinking of getting an assistance coat for one of my guys and telling folks I’m allergic to B.S. Soon afterward I can say, “Oops, he’s alerting me that I’m near B.S. and I must excuse myself!”)
The only thing a dog asks in return for undivided attention and unquestionable loyalty is to be spared from the pain of disease or old age. It seems that few dogs die naturally. They find a way to hang on one more day. I’d like to think it is out of allegiance to their human companions. Regardless, it falls to us all too often to make the final decision and bring a magnificent life to a peaceful end. It is never easy and subsequent passings are no easier, but it is the most noble thing we can do for our beloved canines.
Trust me: a relationship with a good dog cannot be duplicated in any other relationship with any other living thing. And within even the most cantankerous or mistreated canine is a “good dog”. So raise your glass and join me in a toast: To the dogs!

No comments: