Subscribe to Amazon Kindle

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The World As It Could Be


Do you remember the television series “The West Wing”? If so, do you remember the feeling of optimism wash over you in witnessing politics as it could be? Well, Aaron Sorkin is at it again with HBO’s “Newsroom”. I watched the first episode last night and feel the same waves of wistfulness in witnessing news as it could be.
There’s nothing wrong with such nostalgic emotions, you know. How can we envision a better tomorrow without tying that vision to some quixotic crusade? What’s wrong with a world of “us” instead of “you” and “me”? Or a world where leaders share a common goal of the advancement of our society as a whole? Impossible? I think not, although unrealistic might apply in the realm of today’s events.
But we have to start somewhere and where better than a television program where ideals outweigh pragmatic agendas. And profanity is allowed, to boot! I urge you to watch this show regardless of your political persuasion. It could well cause you to reflect on a time in this country when we did great things rather than resting on our laurels. For those without access to HBO, episodes can be downloaded. Please?
OK, that’s it for now...short and sweet. The next two weeks are filled with traveling abroad so you won’t be hearing from me until my return. Something tells me that little will have changed thus providing ample fodder for my future musings.

No comments: