Subscribe to Amazon Kindle

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Where's Mine?

Unemployment remains above 10% with little relief in sight. As a result, much is being debated regarding the wisdom of additional stimulus to “create” jobs. While I believe that some jobs in certain sectors are gone for good and while I believe that others are genuinely unemployed and unable to find gainful employment, I am left to wonder about the others who find it more convenient to be unemployed and collect their unemployment checks.


We’ve always had ne’er-do-wells that will continually seek sustenance from the public teat, but I’m afraid that another group is gaining numbers: those that delay employment so as to collect the maximum amount of unemployment benefits. I know a man whose wife was laid off and collecting her benefits. She had found another position and her husband told me that he had cautioned her against taking the job “too soon”. His “too soon” was defined as any point prior to exhausting all unemployment benefits she had coming to her. “After all, it’s her money”, he explained to me. “No, it’s our money”, I replied. After all, every employer and employee pays into the system in one way or another and the resulting pool of money provides a bridge for those that find themselves between jobs.


This feeling of entitlement to “our money” ends up working against our best interests, though, because, as the costs of unemployment go up, the payments made by companies goes up, and the price goes up for the end-user (you and me). How maximizing one’s unemployment payouts results in an overall increase in income is beyond me. “Well, if I didn’t do it, someone else would.” There’s an original rationale: yeah, I’m gaming the system, but so does everybody else. We’ve already debunked the “my money” excuse, too, so it comes down to the age-old getting something for nothing mindset.

But we’ve already figured out that we’re paying more in the long run, haven’t we? Ah, the long run: there’s the problem. We live in an era of myopia where long-term lies somewhere within the next day, or so. Screw the future, I’m getting mine now and I’ll let tomorrow take care of itself. There’s a 21st century mantra if I’ve ever heard one. I was “unemployed” for several months in late 1984/early 1985 (the airline that employed me filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy). However, I was still in the Air Force Reserve and turned to them so I might fulfill my financial obligations. Some of my ex-colleagues were also reservists, yet they were collecting unemployment benefits. “But your not unemployed”, I told one. “Well, they’ll never know and, after all, I’m due”, was the reply. A college educated professional, still serving in the military, and yet clinging to an over-used and under-justified mentality.


I’d like to think that are fewer of these folks than the career lollygaggers mentioned at the outset, but I’m not sure if the numbers would provide any solace. Not that there are any numbers to compare. I am sure that, if polled, less-than-forthright answers would be offered to simple questions like, “Are you delaying employment until your unemployment benefits are exhausted?”


Sorry, no solution to be found within this passage. The problem is not economic, societal, philosophical, ethnic, nor religious in nature. You see, ultimately, it comes down to the character of the individual. We cannot cajole or coerce someone into doing the right thing if they have no inner desire for the same thing. There was a time when nothing was worse than being on the dole. That time has passed and we are now faced with gimmickry and twisted logic to explain behavior that is something less than noble. Let’s all hope that this, too, shall pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written & well said read, we live in a me, me, me generation like never before. Greed has become the rule and the exception and while this behavior is nothing unheard of, it's the damaging effects on our future that concerns me. Values, Morals, family or individual are in grave emotional distress. Scary